Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Color Orange


I'm not sure what it is I like so much about the color orange, but I do know I have always liked it. You see, as a young (gay) boy, when I was at the age of deciding who my favorite NFL teams were (a dichotomy for which we'll discuss in another posting), I quickly decided on the Miami Dolphins (orange and aqua team colors) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who had orange and white colors-- long before the days of Jon Gruden-- (settle down, Christian) and their current colors of platinum and burgandy. Now, one could easily say the gay thing had something to do with picking these somewhat flamboyount colors, but I've just always been drawn to the color. From the Tide branding to the big orange buttons on Blogger (and, ahem, the predominant color on usairways.com), I just dig the color. An old friend of mine from Washington, DC said that he read an article in GQ that said orange was sighted as the least common favorite color and being the somewhat counter-culturist I am, I always took that as a bage of honor.

Even my partner, Christian, has allowed orange to overtake our current house-- we have a large orange piece of art on the wall, an orange lamp, and and orange bowl on the table. (lest you think this sounds like orange overload, everyone who comes here likes the art and the lamp and bowl are univerally liked as well) I generally am drawn to orange t-shirts, jackets, and shoes-- you should see these Adidas sneakers I have, I think you can see them from the moon.

But as with everything else, there can be too much of a good thing. I have yet to see an orange car that I like (mid 70s Vettes nonwithstanding, which are so cheesy, orange almost adds to it). In fact, when I ordered my MINI last year, orange was an available color, but I passed and took the blue. And there's a lot of bad shades of orange out there-- neon, traffic cones, the Tennesee Volunteers, and many hair dye jobs come to mind.

So it's not an absolute obsession, but one worth noting anyway, and one that I thought would be an appropriate name for my blog. (BTW, as far as the domain goes, thecolororange was already taken, so i tacked on SF at the end but will refer to this blog as thecolororange, cool?)

And there you have it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not fair. No one can like orange anymore but you - a fact I accepted years ago when we became friends. I will say, though, orange suits you best and always has.