Thursday, September 22, 2005

Emerald City Report















C and I spent the past weekend in Seattle and here's a report:
  • The view from the top of the Space Needle is a lot better when it's clear. I was in Seattle a few years ago and it was cloudy, but I insisted on going to the top because damn it, I was in Seattle and wanted to do it. No surprise, I couldn't really see anything from the top. But we had great weather this time and saw some amazing views (but sadly, no Mt. Rainier).
  • It could be because we live in a place that hasn't seen rain since April, but there was greenery everywhere in Seattle! From all the different fir trees on the drive in, everything just felt so alive. I liked it.
  • We had some TREMENDOUS meals. From a random BBQ place we found for lunch and a cute place in Capitol Hill (the gay neighborhood in Seattle) we had for dinner, the service and food was all top-notch. But, if you're ever in Seattle, don't miss Dahlia Lounge, right downtown. It had great ambiance, terrific food and service, but the best was saved for last: it's a fancy place, but on the dessert menu was *made to order doughnuts*. We order them, and about 10 minutes later, the waiter comes out with a paper bag, shakes it up, rips it open and places six warm pastries with a side of strawberry jam and vanilla spread. I have one word: divine.
  • Not that I didn't know this before, but I don't like buses. Especially when we're the 7th of 8 stops. Living in enviro-friendly CA has helped me get over my general aversion to all modes of public transport, but buses are where I draw the line. If you're ever on vacation with me, please note.
  • Although it's over-run with tourists, Pikes Market is actually kinda neat. We got to see the people throw the fish back and forth and although kitschy, it was fun. Also saw some amazingly beautiful flowers that we wish we could find here-- see a photo of the dahlias.
  • The Amazon headquarters building is really cool looking. So is the Seattle Public Library.
  • We went to see the Seahawks (that's the NFL football team for my gay readers) play at Qwest Field, which has some stunning views of the city and of the 10 or so places I've seen NFL games at, is far and away the best. We got to see the far out Grambling St. band perform at halftime and the Seahawks ended up holding on for the victory, 21-18. Go Hawks!
  • It had been a really long time since Christian and I had a weekend where we were both exploring a new city for the first time, and weren't meeting friends or family on the trip, and it was awesome. From walking all over the city, shopping, all the great meals, hanging in our hotel room, shopping and lastly to the football game, it was all wonderful to be there and experience it all with him. After 7+ years, there's no one I'd rather spend my time with, no matter where I am.

No comments: