Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My Brush with Reality (TV)


It was (finally) sunny here in San Francisco on Saturday and I decided to go for a fun and take Hobbes along with me. (I'm still reveling in the fact that I can go out my door and pass by SBC Park and the Bay Bridge within minutes) The street that SBC Park (where the San Francisco Giants play) is right behind our new apartment, and I'm headed towards the Park when I see the billboard that I've posted a copy of here. I chuckle to myself and think that a group of San Francisco liberals probably got together a bunch of money and decided to give the ol' finger to the biggest cheater in sports since, well, probably ever.

I love sports, but other than going to actually watch the games in nice parks like Camden Yards, and SBC Park, I haven't much cared about baseball since the players strike in 94. Despite my nonchalence about the sport, however, I still have a reverence for the records that the sport holds dear. The Red Sox come back two years ago was some of the most riveting TV ever, as was the Cubs collapse the year before. Sadly, I'm continually shocked at how more and more players are either saying they doped while in the sport or are getting caught and the league does nothing about it. So needless to say, despite being somewhat of a fan of Barry Bonds early in his career when he played for the Pirates, I don't think much of him now.

As I get closer to the billboard, a guy approaches me and asks me if I would mind answering some questions about it. I figured he was on the PR team for whoever created the billboard and they were looking for some good quotes. So I popped out my ear buds and before I knew it, was being filmed as the reporter asked me questions like 'Who do you think is behind this billboard' and and 'Do you think the Giants would be better off without Bonds?' I said that even though the Giants would probably not win as many games without him, they would be better off without him. I continued that it would be nice to see them get rid of him, but I didn't see it happening since pretty much everyone in baseball seems so crooked and out to protect their own. I finished with something along the lines like he was a cheater and didn't belong in the sport or record books.

After the interview was over, I said 'So, are you guys associated with the people who put this up?" The reporter quickly responded saying 'No, we actually don't know who is behind this at all. We work for ESPN." There was a pregnant pause and then it dawned on me as I said 'Are you the crew that is following Bonds around for that reality show, following his run towards the home run record?' and he said 'Yep'.

Feeling a bit red-faced, all I could stammer was 'Lucky you', grabbed Hobbes, and headed off. Will I be the next reality TV star? Doubtful. But I think it pays to know who is interviewing you before you spout off!

No comments: