Monday, April 17, 2006

Powder Hounds


My friend Todd gave me a card for my birthday some years ago that had a picture of an old woman skipping across wet pavement on sidewalk that read 'Ever notice how 'what the hell' is usually the right decision?' That has stuck with me for some time, and certainly rang true this past weekend.

I wrote an earlier entry about learning to snowboard and how, although it's been challenging, its been fun to learn something new. Well, this weekend, my good friend Maria and I took off for Tahoe, hoping to get one last good weekend in, and since she is a skier, I would also get to ski at least once this season. Saturday brought heavy winds and only two lifts open on the mountain and as we went to buy lift tickets, people who came down once and said it was horrible conditions. We sadly decided to pass on skiing.

We both had plans in SF on Sunday, but decided to at least spend the night in Tahoe and try to have some fun before heading back in the morning. However, early the next morning, a huge snowstorm hit the motion, and we woke in the morning to at least 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground. 'What the hell' we said... and what a treat was waiting for us-- tons of powder and hardly anyone on the mountain. However, this being the first time that I had skied this year, I was feeling a bit tentative. Especially skiing in such deep snow, where I could quickly found my skis to be under a half foot of snow, and despite skiing for 20 years now, I have never really been in conditions like this.

Maria is a great skier, however, and gave me a quick lesson in powder snow, and we were off. What a day we had! Despite how much my legs burned to make these impossible turns in the powder and how cold it was, it ended up being The snow as amazing, and the above photo was snapped of me as we made our way down one particularly difficult and powder-laden run as the snow pelted us. The visibility was poor, needless to say. I didn't really think that I would be able to do such runs, but it turned out to be really fun. When she skis with her her dad and brother in such conditions, they call themselves the 'powder-hounds' and I am now an honorary member.

Had we left earlier in the morning, it wouldn't have turned out like that. The weekend was quite a bonding one for us, and I'm glad we said 'what the hell'.

No comments: