Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Skin is In...

I like being in the know-- being up on the neatest, coolest stuff happening around. And what's better than sharing the cool stuff with other people? So here's a smattering of the things I'm into these days:

Toy: Yahoo! Music Unlimited. It took me forever to get around to do this, but for any music fans out there, please do yourself a favor and sign-up for one of the subscription-based music services. I've discovered more new music in the last month than I have in the last year, and its all becuase as soon as I hear about a band, I can pull up their whole album and listen to it-- without paying (well, of course, there is a small monthly fee, but Yahoo!'s is like $60 for the whole year!) It's nearly rendered my iPod obsolete. Yes, you don't own the music, but you can still download as you like, but now with full knowledge that you actually like the album. Seriously, it rocks and has helped me discover the below bands...

Listen: The Be Good Tanyas-- Beyond the trippy name, they are sort of a modern-day chick Crosby, Stills, & Nash. The music is full of acoustic guitars and nice harmonies that remind you alternative music doesn't necessarily have to be angry. Check out the album, Chinatown, to listen to at when you want to mellow out or for a quiet dinner party. Along similar lines, remember the first time you heard Dido and thought 'gee, here's a nice sound' before you heard all of those songs over and over and over again? Keren Ann's quiet vocals have similar haunting qualities, with a bit of French lyrics thrown in to make it even sexier. Her latest album, Nolita, is perfect for the next romantic dinner you have and is a nice departure from the yawners our other chanteuse favorites have put out lately that will leave your spouse/SO/trick wondering 'where did he find this cool music?'. Aquanote is another recent find. Their album, The Pearl, is a mellow electronic blend that reminds me of Chicane's Behind the Sun, one of my all-time favorite albums. Perfect for pool-side listening as we all soak up the last rays of summer.

SF Groove Scene: Bootie. This is a monthly mash-up party that we checked out this past weekend and it was a blast. The cocktails were flowing, the space was sufficiently dance-able while still maintaining an edge and the crowd was perfectly blended. (Cute gay guys? Check. Hip straight couples? Check. Freaky guy dressed in a white and black striped bodysuit with a mohawk almost as big as him? Check.) Nice. The crowd was into it and Smash-Up Derby, the world's 'only' mash-up band performed.

We heard songs as random as The Beatles v. Gary Newman (Baby You Can Drive My Car v. Cars), Madonna v. Kelis (Holiday v. Milkshake) on to Gwen Stefani v. Cameo (Hollaback Girl v. Word Up) and everything else you couldn't possibly imagine in between. Sweet! Not all of the songs worked great, but try finding a drip of this creativity next time you hear insert random circuit DJ name here. See http://www.bootiesf.com/ for more and see you there next month!

Wear: Modern Amusement. I'd seen this brand in few boutiques here and there over the past few years, but had never bought anything. The clothes are a nice collection of hip, modern lines without being D&G over the top. I picked up a pair of blue seersucker with color stripes earlier this summer and every time I wear them, at least 1 person asks me where I got them. In NYC a few weeks ago, I picked up a pair of brown striped slacks (at my new favorite store - Atrium in Soho-- it rocks!!) that are even better and will be great for fall. Expect to see their little crow logo popping up more and more-- which, of course, if it does too much, I'll promptly stop advocating it.

*Sigh*- that's the curse of sharing too much cool stuff, so that's it from my treasure chest for now. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, a few comments:

We def need to check out the Mashup club together. I still can't believe we were dancing to Nu Shooz the other week. Very 1988. Maybe if you were in SF for a weekend we could go out more. :)

The Yahoo! music thing sounds cool...I just am so reliant on iTunes it's hard to think outside the box.

Will check out the Be Good Tanyas. I have been listening to a really cool group called Bent that I got as an in import. I'll have to lend it to you.